Tuesday, 31 March 2015

Ariel Bias Scarf - Only 2 1/2 years in the making!

So rather a long time ago (September 2012!!!), I was brought back 2 lovely skeins of Americo Original Cotton Alpaca 4ply yarn from Toronto, Canada.  With it came a pattern for the Ariel Bias Scarf.  A really simple pattern using 5mm needles.

I duly cast on my 67 stitches and did 2 purl rows.  You then start the 2 row stitch pattern of Knit 3 stitches, then repeat YO (Yarn over), K2tog (Knit two together) to the last 2 stitches, Knit 2.
Turn the work, Knit 2 stitches, Purl to the last 2 stitches, Knit 2. And so forth.

Except I only got a few rows in and then the scarf got cast aside for a new pair of socks....... and then another!

But 2015 is all about finishing my WIP's (works in progress) that I wished I finished ages ago and using up some of my yarn stash (then I don't feel guilty about buying more).

Its a super easy pattern to memorise and knit in front of the telly (or in a recent traffic jam - at least I wasn't a grumpy driver! I wasn't going anywhere, so might as well be time effective).

I kept at the pattern until I was nearly out of yarn - 200g later and over 2m in length, I finished with the 2 rows of Knit stitch and cast off.

My Ariel Bias Scarf at last.

Its an un-dyed alpaca /cotton yarn from Peru and I just love the colour.

I think it rather suits me!

3 languishing WIP's finished so far this year and its only April tomorrow!

Happy knitting!

Monday, 9 March 2015

Draped Top - The Great British Sewing Bee Book

A while back, I borrowed my Mum's copy of The Great British Sewing Bee Book  as I wanted to have a go at making the Draped Top.  There was always something else that wanted sewing, knitting or baking, so I didn't get around to it for ages.

Well enough was enough and last week I gave it a go.  My sewing skills are more geared to quilting, so dressmaking was a total change.  But I like a challenge!  Assisted by the cat, I set to, tracing and cutting out the pattern from the pattern sheets provided.

The fabric I was using is probably older than me and was brought back from Hong Kong over 40 years ago.  Its matt silk and much richer in colour than the photo shows.

I found it quite flimsy to work with, but has a beautiful drape.  Just what you need for a top like this.

The pattern was simple and easy to follow and gave separate instructions for the gathering required for the neckline.  I chose to do my gathering by hand and did the rest on the machine with Gutermann Sew-it-all thread and a size 70 machine needle.

A simple halterneck style neck tie.

And a nice scooped hemline front and back.

Its going to be just perfect for a beach holiday!

I think I like it so much, I will try it out in a variety of fabrics.  I bought this lovely fine cotton from Liberty about 4 years ago and think it would look great as a draped top.

However, it has sat in its Liberty bag since I bought it and I'm not sure I can bare to actually cut it up.

Happy sewing!