Well enough was enough and last week I gave it a go. My sewing skills are more geared to quilting, so dressmaking was a total change. But I like a challenge! Assisted by the cat, I set to, tracing and cutting out the pattern from the pattern sheets provided.
The fabric I was using is probably older than me and was brought back from Hong Kong over 40 years ago. Its matt silk and much richer in colour than the photo shows.
I found it quite flimsy to work with, but has a beautiful drape. Just what you need for a top like this.
The pattern was simple and easy to follow and gave separate instructions for the gathering required for the neckline. I chose to do my gathering by hand and did the rest on the machine with Gutermann Sew-it-all thread and a size 70 machine needle.
A simple halterneck style neck tie.
And a nice scooped hemline front and back.
Its going to be just perfect for a beach holiday!
I think I like it so much, I will try it out in a variety of fabrics. I bought this lovely fine cotton from Liberty about 4 years ago and think it would look great as a draped top.
However, it has sat in its Liberty bag since I bought it and I'm not sure I can bare to actually cut it up.