Monday 9 March 2015

Draped Top - The Great British Sewing Bee Book

A while back, I borrowed my Mum's copy of The Great British Sewing Bee Book  as I wanted to have a go at making the Draped Top.  There was always something else that wanted sewing, knitting or baking, so I didn't get around to it for ages.

Well enough was enough and last week I gave it a go.  My sewing skills are more geared to quilting, so dressmaking was a total change.  But I like a challenge!  Assisted by the cat, I set to, tracing and cutting out the pattern from the pattern sheets provided.




The fabric I was using is probably older than me and was brought back from Hong Kong over 40 years ago.  Its matt silk and much richer in colour than the photo shows.




I found it quite flimsy to work with, but has a beautiful drape.  Just what you need for a top like this.




The pattern was simple and easy to follow and gave separate instructions for the gathering required for the neckline.  I chose to do my gathering by hand and did the rest on the machine with Gutermann Sew-it-all thread and a size 70 machine needle.




A simple halterneck style neck tie.




And a nice scooped hemline front and back.




Its going to be just perfect for a beach holiday!




I think I like it so much, I will try it out in a variety of fabrics.  I bought this lovely fine cotton from Liberty about 4 years ago and think it would look great as a draped top.




However, it has sat in its Liberty bag since I bought it and I'm not sure I can bare to actually cut it up.




Happy sewing!

2 comments:

  1. That beach top is super stinkin' cute! well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fantastic description! Thanks for the compliment :-)

      Delete