Monday 23 April 2012

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week - Day 1

Day 1
Colour Lovers
Colour is one of our greatest expressions of ourselves when we choose to knit or crochet, so how do you choose what colours you buy and crochet or knit with. Have a look through your stash and see if there is a predominance of one colour. Do the same with your finished projects - do they match? Do you love a rainbow of bright hues, or more subdued tones. How much attention do you pay to the original colour that a garment is knit in when you see a pattern? Tell readers about your love or confusion over colour.
3KCBWDAY1


I love colour and working as a Gardener, I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by an ever-changing seasonal riot of colour all day, everyday.  Does that affect the yarns or fibres I choose to knit, spin or crochet with?  Well, I guess  maybe in a little way it does.  If you've seen my stash* and project section on Ravelry, you'll know I'm a bit of a sockaholic.  At the moment I'm participating in the Ravelry UK Sock Knitters Knitalong where a British Designer and a British Dyer is chosen each month.  The participants then get to choose either to use the chosen dyer or the chosen designer or combine the two. 

So far I've knit my Monkey's for January with my Mum in mind and she loves purple and green together. 


For February I'm still knitting my Katherine's and chose to dye my own sock yarn red. 


Well it was Valentines Month.  I have finished sock number 1 and cast on number 2, but I just love the seasonal colours in this picture.

March is my Firestarters!  I would never usually this colour combo in a sock yarn, but as it was fluffy fibre it just seemed to grab me.  I plan to wear these round the campfire, keeping my tootsies nice and toasty.




And as for April, well I know I want to knit some Pippie Ripple's.  I mean really, who could resist the name??  As for those, yarn is undecided, but the pattern will dictate the yarn colour.  So I guess I'm a bit if a mix, sometimes its the time of year and what I see around me that tells me what to put on the needles, most often its what the pattern whispers to me and sometimes its the person I have in mind to receive a squishy handmade pair of socks.

I must say though I do find myself looking around and wishing I was a more accomplished dyer so I could be more inspired by nature around me.  A recent walk through the woods saw a riot of bluebells under a canopy of Silver Birch trees, with their foliage just glimmering through.  How I would love to create a sock yarn in those shades.  Writing this it has dawned on me - there's that purple, green and a hint of silver theme again!


Still, if I got too good at myself, I wouldn't be supporting as many of our talented British Dyers would I?

Happy creating :)

* Confession - that's not even a fraction of my stash, especially sock yarn.  Ooopps!


Apologies to those Non-Ravellers - some of my links only work if you're on Ravelry.












No comments:

Post a Comment