Thursday 26 April 2012

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week - Day 4

A Knitter or Crocheter For All Seasons?
As spring is in the air in the northern hemisphere and those in the southern hemisphere start setting their sights for the arrival of winter, a lot of crocheters and knitters find that their crafting changes along with their wardrobe. Have a look through your finished projects and explain the seasonality of your craft to your readers. Do you make warm woollens the whole year through in preparation for the colder months, or do you live somewhere that never feels the chill and so invest your time in beautiful home wares and delicate lace items. How does your local seasonal weather affect your craft?
3KCBWDAY4


Well I'm definitely a knitter for all seasons.  My family would think there was something seriously wrong if I didn't have at least one pair of socks on the go at any given time (currently 3 different pairs on the go, but that might have increased by the end of typing the blog if I've forgotten any!).  So I'm certainly an all-year Sock Knitter.

These are my rather lovely Tadpoles, which I actually kept for me.  Soft, squooshy and Spring Green! 

I do find myself knitting at lot for other people, as I find it lovely to give handmade / hand knit presents to selected victims.  Bearing in mind I must have knit 20 - 25 pairs of socks, there is a limit to how many pairs a girl can wear.  But I do find my 'Gift Knitting' increasing around Birthdays and Christmas.  So not weather affected as such, but certainly seasonal.

Winter warmers tend to get finished when I feel guilty if they've sat in the WIP (Work in Progress for those non-knitters amongst us) pile for a while (the odd year or two) such as my gorgeous Cowl Neck Top.  The pictures don't do the colours and softness justice.  If fact I covet it so much I have yet to wear it!  That and the fact I need near Arctic conditions to not overheat when wearing it ........



Over the warmer months I'm more likely to get my various Dye Kits out, as its so much easier to dry stuff when its warm.  My first ever attempt at Dyeing is the main picture for my blog.  Are you surprised .......... the yarn turned into socks!  Still it did produce my prize Blackcurrant Ripple Socks.  A simple pattern, but I think rather effective :)


And as for spinning, that's more when I get time!  Last night saw Tessy the Ashford Traveller Spinning Wheel in action as my adorable friend Lucas, who is 7, sat on my lap as he treadled and I span some fleece.  I reckon we did a pretty good job!

Again, apologies for Non-Ravelry users if you can't see the links for my projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment